Support this blog. Buy from Amazon!

2008-05-19

 

North vs. South

Having stayed in Southern California for some time, I've notice a huge difference between them, which is the race segregation.

LA is divided into many regions. Just take Asians, there is Chinatown. Old Chinatown. Japantown (Little Tokyo). Other Japanese areas (Torrence, Gardena, Sawtelle Blvd). Koreatown. Filipinotown. Thaitown. And probably many others that didn't cross my mind. But often they exist sort of as separate entities. You don't see races mix well in the city.

Take my Korean restaurant experience. You don't feel like you're welcomed. It felt as if you were invading their boundary or something. Which is probably why a film like Crash uses LA as its background city.

That's quite different from Northern California, at least from my experience. My latest visit to a Korean restaurant in NorCal was much better. This can only make me more longing to move to Bay Area...

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?