Support this blog. Buy from Amazon!

2006-11-17

 

Unsafe Houston

Houston is becoming a worse place to live in, after Katrina. So many people have moved in from New Orleans during and after the hurricane, and have decided to stay.

I heard about two incidents in the last couple days.

First, a woman was walking in downtown at around 8pm. She was approached by an African American. Then, out of nowhere, that guy punched her in her face and knocked her down, apparently for robbery. He fled when a car drove by and stopped. This is not too surprising, as it is well-known that downtown Houston is not particularly safe at nights.

Another incident was a carjacking in the apartment I lived for 4 years. A poor graduate student, who also shared the same building with me in Rice, worked his ass off in campus until 2am and then went home. Once he parked in the apartment, he was approached by three African Americans. He surrendered his car, laptop, and wallet at gunpoint. Maybe he should be blamed for driving a Lexus, but it is a really old one.

What really surprised me is that the apartment is so freaking close to a police station. Moreover, I always see a police patrol car parked near to the apartment office. And not just the car. When I walked pass the patrol car, I saw a uniformed police officer in the car. One time, I even saw him eating a banana in the car (!).

How can Houston become this bad in such a short time? I have to be glad that I left...

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?