Support this blog. Buy from Amazon!

2006-08-26

 

Getting Rid of Coins

One other minor thing I needed to do before leaving is getting rid of the coins, as it wouldn't make sense to ship them to California. Like most people, I keep my coins, mostly pennies, in a basket and never bothered to bring them to a bank or something. Granted, services like Coinstar can easily convert them into cash-equivalent, but the 8.9% service charge just seems like robbery.

The way to avoid this service charge is to get/reload a gift card. I didn't realize I got more than $21 there. (There's probably no way to find out if it is accurate, unless I care enough to count the coins ahead of time.) I reloaded my Starbucks card, because to me it is the closest thing to cash. But you can choose others like Amazon, iTunes, Borders, or LNT, to name a few. Check out the Amazon's Coinstar page. They even tell you how many nickels you would need to buy their top sellers!

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?