Support this blog. Buy from Amazon!

2006-05-28

 

My Apartment

I figured, other than talking about the c a t s, I rarely talk about my apartment. Time for a change. Let me talk about everything but cats.

My apartment is relatively cheap, and with electricity paid is really a bless in a hot place like Houston. No wonder it attracts a lot of poor graduate students from Rice and UH and retired singles. You don't see a lot of nice cars here. A couple years ago, my then pretty new Corolla was one of the better cars, with some occasional Camries, and a yellow Mini Cooper owned by someone also from my department.

Thanks to the recent clearance sales of 2006 Camries, there is a surge of them, mushrooming even on the unassigned street parkings. But it doesn't stop there. In the last couple of months, I have seen many nicer cars. New Infinity. New Lexus. Even a brand new BMW convertible parked on the street.

The apartment is also getting many new tenants. A lot of them with Louisiana license plate. Probably because many refugees from New Orleans are finally being kicked out of hotels, as the federal government finally stopped sponsoring them.

So you would see this coming: They are now raising their rent. And there's nothing I can do, unless I want to move to a new place for two months before moving to LA...

If given a choice, I wouldn't want to stay. Not just because of the cats, but also because I have just received a warning letter from their office. The accusation? I made noise and disturbed my neighbor at night. Turns out, they got a complain from a "courtesy officer" that vacuuming noise came out from my unit at 11:30pm. (Those who know me well enough would know that it would be a surprise that I even vacuum at all, not to mention at that time.) I slept well that day and didn't hear a thing. And no one found it necessary to knock my door to check if it was really me. I would have left just because of this...

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?