Support this blog. Buy from Amazon!

2006-05-09

 

Day II: More Interviews

The reason that they make you to have a two-day interview is that they require candidates to also interview with another group. This is probably to serve as a gateway to prevent an understaffed group from hiring whoever they can get. This actually adds a dimension to the interviews, because now you get to interview with outsiders who in general have more doubts on you.

A nice way to put it is that there are a lot of smart people there. Without the spin, a lot of people there are plain arrogant. By that I mean very arrogant, have a very strong view point, and extremely biased. I get people who don't buy the way I model my work, despite her view is completely unrealistic and impractical. I get people who are not trying to evaluate me, but throwing their own research problems at me and force me to tell them stuff in digital right management, something completely unrelated to my research. And then the worst, there are people who just fundamentally disagree with my research (and confused functionality with constraints), which makes the discussion fruitless.

I guess one thing I learn from these interviews is that you can estimate how it goes pretty easily from the first three minutes. You would already have a strong feeling on whether you like or dislike the person, and the impression is going to be bidirectional and unchangeable. It makes a lot of the interviews meaningless, because regardless of what I say, their comment is going to be similar.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?