Support this blog. Buy from Amazon!

2006-04-11

 

SQLite

As a systems student, a large part of my work is on running lots of experiments to generate lots of data, and expressing lots of data in different forms to show the "fruits" of my designs. Thus, even after finished running experiments, I still need to do a lot of data processing, mostly via writing lots of Perl scripts, before knowing how well I have done.

I recall that a year or two ago my boss suggested me to use a database to store the data for easy accessibility and querying. I didn't do it then because... it sounded like a lot of work. Plus the only machine I had convenient root access was my 7-year-old desktop machine. You don't really want to add services to that poor machine.

But now that I'm again running experiments, I reevaluated this solution. Now it sounds almost like a stupid thing not using a database, after discovering SQLite. I don't need to run a damn SQL server to use SQLite, yet I still get a lightening fast database that I can code with all the languages I'd use. It even comes with a command-line access program, making it god damn fast to generate processed data.

My life will never be the same...

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?