Support this blog. Buy from Amazon!

2006-03-14

 

Cores

Lately I've been fighting with core dumps on the open source program for my research. I was told that I would see more meaningful data if I had the program running for more than a week, but it's hard to do that when the program crashes within a day.

Speaking of cores, I remember the little fun I had in my undergrad days (good times!). I was doing a little class programming project with another dude TT. Not knowing any better method then, we cooperated by sharing a directory in my account. In the early phase, TT had a lot of core dumps and generated many cores. One day, I decided to have some fun by moving the cores into another directory that he had no access to, making it impossible for him to delete them. (I could do that because I had the write permission on that directory.) Since those cores were created by him when he ran the program and encountered core dumps, they were counted towards his disk quota. I even wrote a script to automatically detect and immediately move the cores. Note that, at that time, disk space was not as cheap, so we had only a quota of 10M. Very soon after, he consumed all his quota and could not do anything about that...

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?