Support this blog. Buy from Amazon!

2006-02-18

 

Sucky Apartment

If one needs reasons to graduate from a miserable PhD student life, look no further.

As a poor graduate student, I live in an old, cheap apartment close to campus. To make sure I can enjoy air-conditioning with a peace of mind during the insanely hot summers and not too cold winters, I chose an apartment that has electricity paid for, despite the many disadvantages living here, like the damn cat and the fact that we might have video camera in the apartments and everywhere else.

But with the idea of free electricity that sounds so communism, you know it is not going to work out nicely. In the winter, when everyone turns up their heat, some selfish neighbors keep their windows wide open, probably to get "fresh" air, wasting a lot of energy.

To deal with the ever-growing electric bill, my apartment figured a solution: Limit heat to 75 degrees (or 24 degrees Celsius). While 75 degree is a pretty good number in theory, the actual temperature indoors is much lower than that, making it easy to become sick in the colder nights.

And this also happens to hot water. Once in a while, the water is not hot enough for a shower, even if I use only hot water.

To undo the harm, maybe I should just grab an electric heater and use even more electricity. After all, the apartment is too cheap to install per-unit electricity meters...

Comments:
You can say I am one of those selfish people who keep my window open (but not wide open) when heat is turned up in my apartment. The problem is that my roommate turned up the heat and I feel like in an oven in my room..

This problem has been communicated before.. the heat was tuned down for a while but then recently he tuned it up again..
 
Well, I am not a saint; I don't even drive a hybrid, for this matter. But it's way uncool if someone else needs to pay the bill for ya and, at the same time, take the consequence. My selfish neighbor is a couple, so this is different.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?