Support this blog. Buy from Amazon!

2005-10-14

 

New Network Setting

I have a lot on my TODO list, including research, writing teaching and research statements, finishing my CV, spamming people with my resume, planning my trip to Europe, etc, yet I keep wasting time on stupid thing. Today, I'm working on my home network, after my Mac Mini joins the family.

Mac Mini: If you think about it, there are a lot of software that you'd need to add to it to make it a reasonable desktop. This list includes Firefox, Aduim, Acrobat Reader, X, a LaTeX distribution, and Xcode (which includes cvs, gcc, make, just to name a few).

Linux box: I put together some old parts on separate machines to make an uber downloader called, well, downloader. This has to run my favorite distribution, namely, Gentoo. Setup was easy, except for installing my PCI wireless card, AT&T 6550G. Turns out, this bastard doesn't have a linux driver, and I have to use ndiswrapper to make it run on linux. Of course, having this machine is purely for "research" purpose.

Windows box: This was my desktop machine. Now, it is just a game console with a special browser that can work with my bank's web site, among a few others.

The network: The goal is to put the Mac and the game console close to each other to connect to my router and share my LCD. But more importantly, I have put the linux box as far from my bed as much, so that it can run 24/7 without bothering me.

Now I have my dream setup! The next goal is to waste time using it!

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?